Thursday, August 7, 2008

Finally, a Chance to Breathe

It's true. I'm a terrible blogger. I've allowed projects to get in the way of a lot of things such as blogging. Now that I've wrapped up some big projects, I finally have a chance to breathe. So what's been on my mind this past week besides work?

Priorities and discipline, actually. I met deadlines and finished projects, but if I would have been more disciplined, I would have been able to spread my workload out, allowing myself time to do other things if not finishing the projects sooner. I've struggled with this for some time, yet I do well under pressure.

I was discussing this with a friend a couple nights ago, and he used a phrase that I thought was perfect: "failing forward". I love it. In exercise we discuss failure. In working towards our goals and dreams we are aware of failure. Yet as much as failure can be frightening, every time I take a step back to look at it, I see that it is a good thing.

It is the catalyst for great change. The ultimate failure is defeat -- to give up and walk away. Progressive failure is to get back up and keep trying. I know we've all heard this stuff before, but it's amazing how much it begins to really click in when you commit to something long term.

The PCP is something that I have committed to long term. I will not fail it, and considering the fact that it ends in about a week, I'm confident I'm going to make that goal. The things I have learned from the PCP, though, have really given me insight into other areas of my life. I've tried to make changes before, but I realize now that I accepted defeat in those areas instead of pressing on. Through the PCP, I now see what long term change can bring.

I talked to a friend of mine that is a trainer, and he said that a lot of people don't make it past six weeks. I think part of this is because they expect too much change too soon. Changing core areas of your life, such as your health and body, are a long term goal. It's a part of you, thus change has to become a part of you. This must take time.

I apologize that I haven't prioritized this blog. It's an incredible outlet for myself, and I appreciate all of your words (yes, Patrick, I am a jerk face :)). Perhaps in time this will be another lesson that I learn, another "fail forward", as I love to write, but I struggle with taking the time to do it.

We're almost there!

No comments: