Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cutting it Back

I used to drink lots of tea, but over the years I've become quite the sucker for coffee -- especially a good mocha.

In town there is a coffee shop called Aroma. It has the best coffee in town by far. But now that I'm on the PCP, I have to be considerably more mindful of what I eat. For me this means cutting out mochas. I started by getting mediums and smalls instead of larges. I have now switched to skim lattes, and I am working on moving to drinking coffee black with a little bit of skim milk.

I always find that making such a change is not that hard in the long run as long as you do two things:

1) Make moderate steps towards your goal. Quitting something hard can be very discouraging as difficult changes can be hard to keep up.

2) Have a greater goal in mind. I remind myself that I am working towards something greater, something I've always wanted. This makes my immediate sacrifice so much more worth it.

The next time you feel that craving to go back to your old ways, visualize who you want to be, then turn and walk away from that old habit.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

I had the same tough time giving up the mochas and everything. After about 5 weeks I started drinking flavored coffee, and that really hit the spot. I wrote about it on Day 49, if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Ever since I've decided to eat much more healthily, I find I do not miss the old foods! This is what no one realizes. It feels great not to give into that shit - after a little bit of time, you just simply don't care anymore (and you care about more important things, like staying healthy!)

J. Andrew Hite said...

I'm proud of you David, keep working!

lkfen said...

Good advice son! Keep up the good work.