Saturday, July 5, 2008

My "Dirty" Indulgence

I'm sitting at my favorite café, Aroma, in Champaign, IL. Since I've been on the PCP, I've switched to drinking skim lattes where as I used to consume mochas religiously. So for my indulgence, I figured I'd revisit that old friend, Ms. Mocha.




I'm 3 sips into it, and I want to throw the damn thing away. Now hear me out, I don't mean to turn this into the, "OMG, fresh, natural food is so amazing I automatically despise anything manufactured" sort of spiels that you are used to hearing; but I kid-you-not, this thing tastes different. It used to taste rich, creamy, and chocolaty to me. Now it tastes "chemicular" -- seriously. Overshadowing that tasty barbituate chocolate is something sharp and acidic. I can't exactly describe how it tastes, but it tastes a little bit like a household cleaner smells.

This experience is a bit liberating. With my last indulgence I had Thai food, and I still crave it as it's not bad for you in and of itself aside for the high amounts of salt. This mocha is flat out bad, and the great thing is, I'm not going to miss it. I'm going to happily go back to my lattes, knowing that I'm missing out on nothing.

This is why we are allowed these indulgences. To show us where we are and where we've been. It's a great feeling knowing that where I've been is a place that I never want to go again.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Yeah, that's how it goes when you eat something truly bad for you after being clean for a few weeks.

Interesting stuff, huh?

Corry said...

Really wild how something once so yummy could now taste like chemicals, and only by eating fresh stuff for the past few weeks can you now detect such a thing. Still amazes me to know end. Hey, that was a GREAT dirty indulgence by the way! I have to confess, i have indulgence envy...heehee. You're doing fantastic, keep on!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't let All Powerful PCPer Patrick convince you otherwise---he loves his indulgences, too. Mochas, in particular.

I say, switch it up when you've got the craving...to a shot of espresso + get 'er done. Caffeine in moderation isn't a problem. Patrick has 2 cups of coffee/morning. I think you're much better off hitting it hard w/a shot, skipping sugar, milk, all the yuck stuff. Anyway, my 2 yen for what it's worth. Good luck!

Patrick said...

Hell yeah I love mochas more than anything. I also don't have a problem with caffeine or espresso.

But we shouldn't be fooling ourselves into thinking we're just having a regular old caffeinated beverage when we're actually downing 400 liquid calories.