Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Own Personal Drill Sergeant

I was really hard on myself tonight during my workout. It's not that I wanted to quit, it's that I wanted to push myself harder. When it came to the jump rope, I told myself that I couldn't pause for a drink of water until I completed X amount of jumps.







When I wanted to break, I told myself that I had to do X amount more, and I kept pushing myself to do more and more before pausing. Finally towards the end I did 100 more than was required, and when I got down to the last five, I messed up, got mad, and made myself do 60 more.

I didn't get the endorphin rush that I was going for, but I got a huge sense of satisfaction in pushing myself. Like Patrick has said, there are some days when you have to take it easy; thus it's best to really push yourself on the days when you really can.

All-in-all, I did well over 1600 jumps ropes today. I'm also really glad that I wasn't in a gym because I kept talking to myself out loud. Clearly drill sergeants work or the military wouldn't use them. Sometimes it really helps to be your own personal drill sergeant.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Nice work dude. I have those kind of days too, and you're right, it's best to exploit them and do a bigger badder workout.

You're the man, man.