Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Traveling on the PCP: A Hectic Schedule

Packing for the PCP diet is the easy part. Fitting it into a busy schedule is the hard part -- especially since I was at the mercy of someone else.

I rode up to the wedding with my friend Jason, the groom. Since I did not drive myself, I was at his mercy. This makes sticking to the PCP rather hard. Fortunately Thursday was a breeze. Jason and I had a lot of time to relax and get work done. I stuck to the diet and did my workouts in the evening. Jason even did some jump roping! How cool is that? He was going to do about 700, but I encouraged him to do 1000 -- he did just fine. He expressed interest in doing the PCP, but said that he struggles to have the time. I'm working on him.

It turns out that Jill's father used to jump rope a lot too. It's always exciting to find others that share a common interest. Jump roping seems so petty, but it's rather exciting once you get into it. We talked shop about bicycles and he further piqued my interest in the sport of cycling.

After the rehearsal we all went out to this restaurant that was country cooking themed. Unfortunately I wasn't able to eat anything on the menu, but to be honest, I probably wouldn't have anyways. I stuck to my smoothie for dinner, which I was proud of. I realized that sticking to something isn't about aversion -- it's about confrontation. I was able to look at the temptation and turn away.

Friday: things get tough. We get up and immediately have to start getting ready. No time to eat consistently. No time to work out -- this sucked. I ate some of my breakfast and morning snack. I pretty much missed everything else.

The food at the reception helped make up for it, however. I had some of the best salmon that I have ever had, and it came with asparagus and this long grain rice to boot! Delicious! I'm not sure what sauce the salmon had on it, but the dish was not salty by any means. Another plus.

The reception was open bar. Oh the temptation! I didn't have a single drink from the bar, but I did drink some champagne and wine due to the occasion. I figured I would work it off in the next day or two. It was all around fun festivities, but I didn't eat all of my PCP food, and I didn't have a chance to workout.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Yeah man, you gotta keep it real. Not drinking champagne at a wedding because you're on a training diet is pretty much stamping "I'm an asshole" on your forehead.

Being in Peak Condition also means you can be flexible enough to know when the diet comes second to friends and to life!